Whether you’re looking for a quick and well balanced breakfast or a protein snack to fuel you during the day, this high protein avocado “toast” takes the cake…the rice cake that is.
Maybe it’s the Californian in me, but I am avocado obsessed. The creamy yet mild taste pairs well with almost everything and with just a sprinkle of salt can take your meal from boring to flavorful. The list of benefits from eating avocados is endless. They are high in fiber, a great source of healthy fats (which help lower your cholesterol) and balance out protein and carb meals by providing you with satiety.
Pair avocado with a nice piece of toasty bread and you’ve got a duo that hits the spot. It’s no wonder you’ll find avocado toast on the menu at so many brunch spots. While avocados (fat) and toast (carbs) are tasty and filling, it could use a boost of protein. Cottage cheese provides the texture and mild flavor that’s perfect for avocado toast. And cottage cheese is an excellent protein source with 21g of protein in a 3/4 cup serving size.
Not all cottage cheese is created equal in my book. I’ve done taste tests among many various brands and Good Culture is hands down my favorite! It’s thicker than other brands and has a creameries feel than some small curd versions I’ve tried. IF you haven’t tried Good Culture cottage cheese yet, I highly recommend it.
- 3/4 cup low fat small curd cottage cheese
- 3 rice cakes (Thin if you can find)
- 2oz avocado, chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon bagel seasoning
- Place rice cakes on a plate.
- Divide cottage cheese among rice cakes and spread to cover.
- Top with avocado and a sprinkle of seasoning.
1. Place rice cakes on a plate2. Divide cottage cheese in three and spread a layer on each rice cake.
3. Top with avocado and a sprinkle of bagel seasoning.