Bagel donuts? What in the world are bagel donuts? These delicious bites of heaven are too fluffy to be called a bagel and too savory to be considered a donut, hence the hybrid name. Give them a try and you won’t care what they’re called as long as you can have seconds!
If you ask me in front of my kids, I’m calling them donuts. just a dash of sprinkles on top before being popped into the oven, meets the criteria for my littles. Alternatively, you can hold off on the topping pre-baking and spread some frosting on top after they’ve cooled a bit to take on more of the donut persona.
Personally, I’m a sucker for bagels. If you put both a gluten free donut and bagel in front of me, Im picking the bagel every single time. I enjoy these plain, but my favorite way to jazz it up is with a bit of cream cheese and lox.
You can also substitute the plain greek yogurt for flavored yogurts. Ive added Nutella to a bowl of yogurt and made Nutella bagel donuts topped with mini chocolate chips for the kids. I’ve also added cheese and then topped with pizza sauce for a pizza bagel donut. Well, at that point there’s nothing donut about them.
The better is super sticky! You’ll want to dampen your hands when molding these in a pan or shaping them by hand. I use this Wilton donut pan on Amazon. You could also, shape by hand and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. It won’t puff up the same way or look as polished, but I use this method to make Ryder breadsticks and it tastes the same.
- 2 Cups Pamelas Gluten free baking and Pancake Mix
- 1.5 cups Plain low fat greek yogurt.
- 1 Tablespoon topping of choice for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Spray donut pan with avocado oil (or alternative high heat spray oil.)
- In a large mixing bowl add baking mix and greek yogurt and blend with a spoon until paste like consistency,
- Spoon into donut pan. Batter will be very sticky. Dampen a finger to drop off spoon and smoosh into pan.
- With damp hands, softly run fingers over top of donuts to smooth out.
- Add sprinkles, seasoning or other topping.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes before removing.