Brrr. It is chilly outside! Even though this weather makes me want to stay inside all day, I love using my crock pot so I don’t have to stand by the stove all day.
This recipe is simple to make. It has just a few ingredients – many you probably already have on hand. I always keep our pantry stocked with Trader Joe’s chili lime seasoning, which is listed as an ingredient in this recipe, but if you need a substitute you could use 1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and an extra lime.
Start by sautéing your chopped onion in the olive oil, then adding in the spices. After 3-4 minutes of sautéing onion, add the chicken broth to deglaze the pan getting all those caramelized tasty bits into the mix. Then dump all ingredients into the crockpot, kick your feet up and relax while the crock pot does the work.
When the chicken is fully cooked, it should shred easily. Pull it out of the slow cooker, shred with two forks and then pop it back into the soup.
After you add the chicken back in, turn your cooker off and let the soup cool a bit before adding the greek yogurt to help it blend easier. The Greek yogurt not only makes this soup super creamy but ups the protein.
- 2lb raw chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 16oz jar of salsa
- 1 can black beans
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 Tableapoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili like seasoning or substitute described above.
- Juice of one lime
- Optional toppings: Greek yogurt, diced red onion, hot sauce.
1. Add oil to a medium sauté pan. When heated add onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Add seasoning and continue to sauté for two minutes.
3. Add one cup chicken broth to deglaze pan getting up all the caramelized bits.
4. Add chicken breasts to crock pot. Add sautéed onions on top of chicken.
5. Add corn, beans, salsa and remaining chicken broth. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.
6. Transfer chicken to a plate and shred then add back to soup.
7. Turn off cooker and let Greek yogurt come to room temp while soup cools for thirty minutes. Add Greek yogurt and stir.
Spoon serving to a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.